They say knowledge is power, and that’s definitely accurate when talking about your air conditioner. While complicated repairs are best left to experts, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve everyday AC issues.
Knowing how your AC works and the typical problems it faces will allow you to tackle little problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you money on minor service calls, but knowing when to reach out to a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into major repairs.
Your Air conditioner is a fundamental element of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified professional for air conditioning repair in Boynton Beach if you're unsure about any aspect of your air conditioner's operation or maintenance.
Here are several frequent questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning your AC is a good way to make sure it works efficiently, and potentially could extend the life of your unit.
The most important step you can take on your own is to swap out the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter catches dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those contaminants from the air circulating inside your home. If your AC filter becomes clogged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it should in order to move air through the filter. A clean filter traps the airborne debris while still permitting air to flow freely through the system.
Replacement filters are available at most popular home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be purchased from your local HVAC expert. A good way to make sure you get the correct filter is to look at your old one before you leave for the store, jotting down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also a good idea to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are trying to buy something similar.
For detailed service of your air conditioner, contact the seasoned professionals like the crew at A2Z Air Inc to do regular maintenance on your system. They’ll inspect your system, clean or lubricate parts that require attention and look for worn-out parts and potential trouble.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to ensuring your indoor air conditioning unit is operating efficiently, it’s also a good idea to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outdoor unit of your AC is a quick way to increase its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which include extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the cooler air outside. This brings down the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back in your home so it can absorb more heat from the air in your home's interior. Washing the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut down power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip the power switch off, rather than turning the thermostat off.
2) Take off the top of the outdoor AC so you can enter the interior of the unit. Then, being cautious not to stress any cords or attachments, safely put the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, first at the top and working down. Commercial coil cleaners are sold and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as in the form of foaming solutions that are sprayed on with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most products, it's advised that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a small period of time to dissolve the grime and then gently spray it off with a garden hose. Take care not to spray really hard, because that could ruin the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the coils and fins to dry before turning it back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner changes depending on the type of unit, its quality, if maintained and how much it's used. However, industry experts say you should start getting ready for air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to make the most of your air conditioner is through AC conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from A2Z Air Inc consists of cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as changing out the dirty filter and repairing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating a long time, reach out to us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Boynton Beach.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Picking out the correct sized air conditioner for your home is vital for keeping comfort and efficiency. Here are some points to think about when deciding what size air conditioner to buy for your home:
- Square footage: The size of the space you need to cool is one of the biggest factors. Larger spaces require more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes preserve cool air better, which could decrease your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you are living in a hotter climate, you'll want a more powerful air conditioner compared to a person living in a cooler climate.
- Number of windows: Windows often let in heat, particularly when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house produce more body heat, which can affect your cooling needs.
- Present HVAC system: The size and productivity of your current system can provide a jumping off point for deciding what you need.
Given that the size of your AC is so important to your home’s comfort, you will probably want a professional opinion. At A2Z Air Inc, we take the time to fully understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other variables such as your home’s layout and size. This attention to detail and commitment to customer service is why A2Z Air Inc is known for exceptional air conditioning installation in Boynton Beach.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices differ depending on the type of the unit and your home’s unique specifications, a new air conditioning system generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. On the plus side, a benefit of air conditioning replacement is that new air conditioners are developed to be exceptionally efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price tag of an air conditioner is influenced by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs along with federal regulations that necessitate changes to the design.
Realize these are average costs and prices can fluctuate. It's always a good idea to get several quotes from trustworthy HVAC companies before making a purchase. If you’re interested in air conditioning replacement in Boynton Beach, get in touch with A2Z Air Inc. We will provide you with a complimentary estimate, describe the plan and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
An air conditioner freezing up can be due to many factors, all of which boil down to the failure of your system to efficiently transfer heat. If your air conditioner is suffering from issues causing it to freeze up, it is most likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some typical reasons for AC freezing up:
- Poor airflow: If the air isn't flowing correctly through your AC system, it can't sufficiently absorb heat. This could be due to a dirty air filter, something stopping air from flowing through the return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is running low on refrigerant, it may become too cold and freeze up. This is frequently the result of leaks in the refrigerant lines.
- Frigid outdoor temperatures: Running your air conditioner when it's very cold outside can cause the system to freeze. The majority of units aren't designed to perform in temperatures of less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Faulty thermostats, damaged blower motors and problems with the relay or control board can all result in an AC unit freezing up.
A2Z Air Inc is the Trustworthy Source for Air Conditioning Service in Boynton Beach.
At A2Z Air Inc, we are focusing on making your home a comfortable and soothing place. Our qualified professionals are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and are experienced on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us the premier choice for air conditioning repair in Boynton Beach and the surrounding areas.
If you’re seeking to upgrade or its time for a new air conditioner, we’ve got you covered there too, with our top-notch air conditioning installation in Boynton Beach. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Call A2Z Air Inc today at 561-270-6228 to schedule an appointment or complimentary estimate!