Keeping your Boynton Beach house cozy can require a lot of money. The average family spends about $172 on monthly utility bills, according to ENERGY STAR®, or about $2,060 yearly. At least half of that is for heating and cooling.
The majority of residences use programmable thermostats, but most people don’t take the time to set them. The process is bothersome, involved and only provides you limited options for desired temperatures. When your home remains at an identical temp throughout the day, it consumes utilities and badly impacts your monthly expenses.
Smart thermostats adjust to your schedule and modify the temperatures to match it. But can using one really save you money on heating and cooling? Yes, and here’s why.
Studies Show Smart Thermostats Reduce on Utility Costs
Independent studies show these devices can produce major savings.
These studies used home heating and cooling expenses in 41 states before and after installing a Nest smart thermostat. Nest said the study found its thermostats can save up to 12% on heating and 15% on cooling, producing an estimated savings of $131 to $145 yearly.
With the average smart thermostat running between $100–$250, those savings can help it pay for itself. And many local energy companies offer rebates for smart thermostats because they’re ENERGY STAR® certified.
How Does a Smart Thermostat Work?
After your smart thermostat is ready to go, you’ll initially set it just like your previous thermostat. You’ll switch it up and down, so the thermostat can figure out your preferences. Then, it will begin developing a program that helps you spend less money, whether you’re at your residence or away. Because it geofences with your smartphone, you won’t have to put it on your list to adjust it when you exit or come back.
Pros and Cons of Having a Smart Thermostat
As we covered prior, smart thermostats give lots of perks to your home and heating and cooling expenses, including:
- No need to adjust—Your smart thermostat will pick up on your schedule, so you won’t be required to use up time setting programs or remember to change.
- Knows when you get home and take off—Since lots of smart thermostats geofence with your phone, your home will go into an energy-efficient setting when you leave and be cozy when you arrive.
- Remote temperature supervision—You’ll be able to see your residence’s temperature from nearly any location, thanks to an app on your phone.
- Watch heating and cooling use—Many smart thermostats offer detailed data through their app, like how long you needed heating and cooling on a specific day.
- Reminders—Certain smart thermostats will remind you of important maintenance tasks, including when it’s time to put in a new air filter.
- Additional savings—The majority of local energy companies offer rebates for smart thermostats, so check with yours for more information.
However, there’s a couple of points you should contemplate regarding installing a smart thermostat in your house:
- Compatibility—Subject to the type and age of your heating and cooling system, a smart thermostat might not function with it. If you don’t know, it’s recommended to check with an HVAC specialist like A2Z Air Inc. We also advise having it professionally installed. This ensures that you have the proper number of wires and that it’s hooked up accurately. Some systems don’t have a common wire, which causes compatibility troubles with a smart thermostat. This wire energizes your thermostat, so if your home doesn’t have a C-wire, we can put one in.
- Housing situation—If you own your residence and are planning to reside there for a long time, it’s a wise investment to install a smart thermostat. If you’re planning to move shortly or rent, we advise holding back unless you want to take the thermostat with you. If you rent, you’ll typically need to get your landlord’s permission first ahead of installing a new thermostat.
- Cost—Smart thermostats are pricier than programmable thermostats, and we suggest having yours professionally installed. However, the energy savings over the years can help pay for itself.
- Lifestyle—Does a family member work from home, or is someone frequently at the house? If that’s the case, you might not see as large of savings, but you’ll have the convenience of not being required to program or adjust a thermostat.
Rely on A2Z Air Inc for Your Smart Thermostat Needs
At A2Z Air Inc, our top purpose is to keep your home pleasant while helping you save on heating and cooling costs. If you’re considering installing a smart thermostat, our professionals can help, from picking the ideal model to expert installation. Call us at 561-270-6228 today to learn more.