With proper maintenance, your air conditioner can last 15 years or greater. But even the most well- maintained air conditioner will need to be updated down the road.
When you’re starting to plan for air conditioning installation in Boynton Beach, we realize that the price is number one on your list of questions. The silver lining is that installing a new air conditioner may be more reasonable than you think it is, due to rebates, our special offers and financing for qualified customers. You’ll also get better energy efficiency, which will usually pay off over the years through lower electricity bills.
Here’s what to expect when you’re getting a new air conditioner.
When to Replace Your Air Conditioner
Knowing when to repair or replace your air conditioner might be difficult. Here’s what we suggest.
- Your air conditioner is older than 10 years old. While some may work longer, many air conditioners work for around 15 years with routine maintenance. We recommend prepping for air conditioning replacement around the 10-year mark. Even if you get a new one when it’s only a decade old, the U.S. Department of Energy says this swap could save you 20-40% on cooling bills.
- You’ve avoided regular maintenance for a long time. Much like a car, you cooling system has to have annual air conditioning maintenance. Skipping this important service can result in reduced efficiency, more recurring repairs and even a reduced life span.
- Your air conditioner requires frequent or expensive repairs. Needing air conditioning repair is usually the result of overlooking maintenance. But as your air conditioner gets older, it’s more likely to have a catastrophic problem. When repairs are greater than half the cost of a new air conditioner, you should get a new one.
- Your house isn’t comfortable. If your house feels too sticky or you’re having hot and cold spots in given areas, your air conditioner could be struggling to keep up. This is a hint you should replace it.
- Your cooling bills are costly. Your air conditioner gets less efficient as it ages. As a result, it might need to operate more repeatedly or longer to keep your house at your desired temp. Newer air conditioners have the top energy-efficient technology to keep your residence cool and utility costs low.
- Your air conditioner uses R-22 refrigerant. If your air conditioner was replaced before 2010, there’s a good chance it uses Freon. Also known as R-22, this refrigerant is no longer being manufactured due to its bad effects on the environment. You can keep using your air conditioner, but if it were to experience a refrigerant leak, fixing that would be extremely expensive. This is due to the fact R-22 is only available in limited, recycled quantities.
- Your air conditioner is under 10 years old. If your air conditioner is newer, it’s ideal to repair it.
- Repairs aren’t common or reasonable. The wisest way to stop unanticipated repairs is to have yearly maintenance scheduled. But when repairs are only needed every so often or are economical, repair your air conditioner.
- Your air conditioner has a valid warranty. Most air conditioners are accompanied by a 5- to 10-year limited warranty that usually covers the compressor. Your exact warranty length is determined by your manufacturer, but it offers valuable protection in the event of a big failure. If your air conditioner is under warranty, we recommend fixing it.
Air Conditioner Cost
The majority of homeowners spend around $4,631 on a new air conditioner, based on national averages compiled by HomeGuide. Air conditioner cost averages often range from $3,350 to $5,912, but your exact cost might be lower or higher.
There are a couple of factors that impact your total cost, including:
- The air conditioner model you choose, because more energy-efficient ones are higher priced.
- The size you need.
- If you need to install new ductwork, which can happen if your ductwork is old or separated.
We give free estimates at A2Z Air Inc so you can be sure you’re getting a great deal. And with our full range of air conditioners, there’s an energy-efficient model that fits just about any budget.
Air Conditioner Size
Air conditioner size is critical. A system that’s undersized won’t be able to keep your house cool. And one that’s too large could turn on and off too many times, or short cycle. This act can inflate your energy costs and wear your air conditioner out prematurely. This might also lead to temperature instabilities and make your residence feel less comfy.
At A2Z Air Inc, our technicians have many years of experience in properly sizing and installing the right air conditioner for your house. The ideal size depends on how large your home is, along with several other considerations. Some of the most standard sizes include:
- 2 ton, which cools up to 1,000 square feet
- 3 ton, which cools up to 1,600 square feet
- 4 ton, which cools up to 1,900 square feet
- 5 ton, which cools more than 2,000 square feet
Other things that can influence air conditioner size are:
- The climate in Boynton Beach
- Ductwork quality and age
- How many windows your home has and the style, since big or picture windows can be lower efficiency
- If your residence gets more sun or shade
- Insulation quality and depth
- How many people live in your home
Your air conditioner’s efficiency is linked to its SEER, or Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating. This ranking measures how efficiently it consumes electricity to create cooling. The higher the rating, the more efficient the air conditioner is.
When you’re installing a new air conditioner, it’s crucial to be aware:
- Older air conditioners are rated around 8-9 SEER.
- Updated air conditioners start at 13 SEER. Ones installed in the southwest and southeast must be a minimum of 14 SEER due to U.S. Department of Energy regulations. As of 2017, these SEER rating requirements have saved homeowners trillions of dollars.
- ENERGY STAR®-certified air conditioners begin at 14.5 SEER.
- Higher SEER-rated air conditioners include additional features to help you save more. These features may entail variable-speed cooling. Instead of going at full speed constantly, these air conditioners can adjust blower speeds customized for your cooling preferences. This leads to quieter and more energy-efficient cooling. While an air conditioner with a greater SEER rating is typically higher priced, it may be eligible for additional rebates. And the energy savings over time might help it pay for itself.
Start Your Air Conditioning Installation with A2Z Air Inc Now
When you’re researching air conditioning replacement, the company who puts it in is just as important as the model you select. A2Z Air Inc is one of the most trusted names for air conditioning installation in Boynton Beach. From helping you select the recommended solution for your home to going over financing options to professional installation, working with our professionals is a breeze. Reach us at 561-270-6228 to start now!