While the cold season seems like it’s already been going on for much too long, its impact on our heating bill is only beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a jingle at 561-270-6228. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Boynton Beach weather.