As the temperature rises, so does your energy bills. To keep your cooling bills under control you might be thinking, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Boynton Beach?
It’s a popular belief that turning your air conditioner on and off throughout the day is a waste of energy. This is actually a misconception.
Keeping your air conditioner on all the time means you’re not using it very efficiently. We advise moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re away, and lowering it when you come back. You can do this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat can do everything for you.
It’s significantly more laborious for your system to keep a consistent temperature all day long. It can also result in a lot of stress on your equipment, since it’s constantly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your electricity bills, it can also cause a reduced life cycle for your AC unit.
No matter what, the bigger the difference between your house’s temperature and the outside temperature, the more your energy expenses will be. So, what can you do to stay cool and keep your utility bills down in the summer season? Here are our ideas based on recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Approaches to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Adjust Your Thermostat. The DOE says that you can spend up to 10% less a year on heating and cooling by turning up your thermostat 7-10 degrees when you’re away at work. During the warmer months, it’s recommended to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees when you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s equally as important to abstain from setting your thermostat to a lower setting than normal when you turn on your air conditioner. This doesn’t actually cool off your residence any quicker, it just results in more expensive utility bills. While these temperatures may appear warm, there are additional ways to keep cooler without having to consistently run the air conditioner.
- Utilize Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says raising the thermostat by a mere 2 degrees and turning on your ceiling fan can lower air conditioning costs by up to 14% throughout the warm months. It’s important to keep in mind that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to save energy. Additionally, keeping blinds low and curtains drawn throughout the day helps keep cooler air indoors. There are also some window treatments meant to deliver additional insulation and boost energy efficiency.
- Adequately Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky openings all across a house enable conditioned air to rapidly escape and warm air to get in. This could cause your AC equipment being required to work harder to keep your house cool and your utility bills to skyrocket. Make certain that any openings, doors and windows are properly sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are easy mends for leaks or drafts near windows and doors.
- Arrange Regular Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance ensures your air conditioner is always performing at its most energy efficient. This lets our experts to find simple issues before they become serious problems. A clean AC unit is usually more efficient and might even live for a greater period of time.
- Install a Smart Thermostat. One of the easiest methods to guarantee comfort and efficiency is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat instinctively changes the temperature based on your daily schedule. It works with your smartphone to sense when you’re at home or elsewhere to maximize your energy efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could actually save you about $180 annually on HVAC costs.
- Consider Replacing Your AC Unit. You can figure a sufficiently cared for AC to live for 15-20 years. But if you’re frequently needing us for air conditioning repair or your AC expenses are increasing with no shifts in thermostat settings, it might be time for an upgrade. We carry a number of energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without compromising comfort.
Enhance Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with A2Z Air Inc
No one wants to see their air conditioning bill climb during the summer season. If you’re wanting more ways to keep your energy consumption and costs down this summer, our pros can help. Reach us at 561-270-6228 or contact us online now for more info.